The Custom Audience screen is where you create a custom audience. As you build your audience by adding criteria in the Define Audience section located on the left, the Insights panel on the right displays the potential reach of an audience so that you can appropriately size the audience.
To create a custom audience:
From the Audiences screen, click located on the top right.
The Custom Audience screen appears. Type the Audience Name and a Description in the corresponding fields.
All fields except Name are optional, however, you cannot save an empty audience. At least one selection must be made.
In the Location section, complete the following:
a. Select Include or Exclude from the first list, as needed.
b. From the second list, select one of the following locations criteria:
- State: Select one or more US states from the Select state list.
- DMA: (Designated Market Area): Select one or more DMAs from the list. You can also select bulk upload to copy and paste multiple DMA codes.
- Zip Code: Type a zip code. You can also select bulk upload to copy and paste multiple zip codes.
- Congressional District: Open the third list to select one or more congressional districts from the list.
A label appears for each criteria item you select, for example . Items added as “Included” have a blue label while items added as “Excluded” have a red label . If needed, you can remove any criteria items you’ve selected by clicking .
In the Demographics section, complete the following:
- Age: Select the age range.
- Gender: Select Male, Female, or Any.
- Advance Demographics: Select the household income range.
In the Predefined Audiences Segments section, select one or more predefined segments for inclusion or exclusion. This allows you to target consumers that might meet your campaign goals without needing any other data or analysis.
Include or exclude the following segments as needed:
- Partner Audiences: Contains a list of all the segments you can select by category.
- Third Party Data: Contains a list of third party providers segments.
- Past Browsing Interests: Contains a list of past browsing interests segments.
When selecting a category item from the list, all of its sub-categories items are selected. For example, if you select Apparel & Accessories, all items within that category will be selected.
In the First Party list, include or exclude your first party data segments as needed. For more on how to upload your data files to create segments, see Uploading Segments.
Once you’ve defined your custom audience, click located on the top right.
Your custom audience is now saved and listed in the Audiences table with a Publishing status. If you need to view the audience details, you can click on the audience name to open the audience details screen.
As you’re building your audience, the Insights panel displays the potential reach of an audience and a breakdown of its locations and demographics data. This allows you to appropriately size the audience as you include or exclude individual segments.
The Insights panel displays the following:
- Reach: the potential reach of your audience.
- Location: this tab displays the audience states and the audience percentage per DMA.
Demographics: this tab displays the audience gender, age, and household income.